Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Not A Sound by Heather Gudenkauf



As if losing your hearing because of a hit-and-run driver wasn't enough trauma, Amelia and her service dog, Stitch, found a dead body of a fellow nurse on the beach. 




In addition to losing her hearing and her job as a trauma nurse, Amelia's depression and drinking also caused the failure of her marriage and her income. She desperately needed a job and needed to get back into society because she was still living on her savings after two years and was lonely.

We follow Amelia through her days and nights and her fear about the killer knowing she was the one who found the body, her fear about little things happening while she is away from home, her fear about public interaction, and her continued fear of living in her silent world with people who have the ability to hear even though she can sign and read lips.



We also follow the police investigation with Jake, the head detective, and his protectiveness of Amelia.  Is he only being overly protective because he is Ameilia's brother's best friend or for some other reason.  Is he also being overprotective when she does investigating herself because she is putting herself in danger by "snooping ?"

Ms. Gudenkauf puts you into Amelia's life and has you wondering what it would be like to be deaf as you empathize with Amelia. Ms. Gudenkauf’s research must have been extensive to make the reader completely feel and experience what Amelia was experiencing as she dealt with the everyday trials of her hearing loss and trying to find out who the murderer was.

The suspense in NOT A SOUND picked up at every turn of the page, and I had a few suspects in mind.  Ms. Gudenkauf's writing style pulls you in and keeps you interested and wondering what secrets some of the characters are keeping. 

If you enjoy suspense at its best, you won't want to miss NOT A SOUND.  I couldn't stop reading.  5/5




This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.




18 comments:

  1. An author I've still to track down! thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does write good books. I hope you can track her down.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This would be perfect, Kathy.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  3. I've got this one on my list to read soon. Nice to hear what you thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it too.

      Thanks for stopping, Kay.

      Delete
  4. Great review. I enjoy her books and now have this on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl.

      Her books never disappoint.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  5. Great review! I loved this one, too....thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel.

      It was good.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read the author but I've seen her name a lot. Good to know you enjoyed this thriller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She always has a good thriller waiting for us. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
  7. Loved this one too Elizabeth, it was so enlightening as to what it might be like to be deaf. Definite fav with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...very well researched.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathryn.

      Delete
  8. This sounds so good. I really want to read this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie.

      I hope you get to read it.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  9. I love authors who can make us get into the shoes of a main character with a disability. This one sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I felt as though I was there with Amelia.

      Thanks for stopping, Laura.

      Delete