Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Secret of Magic by Deborah Johnson

A year-old murder, a book paralleling events and characters, and the South in the 1940's after WWII.

The charm of the South as well as its deep-seated prejudices comes forth in THE SECRET OF MAGIC as Regina Robichard travels from New York City to Revere, Mississippi, to investigate the murder of a young black man just returning from the war.

Regina hits brick walls right from the start even though she was invited by M. P. Calhoun, a powerful woman and author of a book also titled The Secret of Magic, to investigate the murder.

THE SECRET OF MAGIC has characters that are authentic and very likeable...well most of them are likeable. Some of them are down right mean and hateful.  You will LOVE Willie, Willie because of his strength and determination. 

THE SECRET OF MAGIC was a bit slow at first, but once Regina got to Mississippi and started her investigation, the interest picked up as we follow her through her investigation.  You will become part of her activities and part of the laws of Post-WWII South.

You will become part of finding out the ways of and the secrets of the South, the secrets of how the town of Revere, Mississippi, is run, and the secrets of powerful Southern families.  They will be secrets that aren’t pleasant.

You will melt into the pages and the comfort of Southern living, but you will also need to be prepared to shed some tears and feel fear for some of the characters.

THE SECRET OF MAGIC has beautiful, descriptive writing that pulls you in and keeps you turning the pages.  Ms. Johnson is a master with words.

If you like Southern fiction, you won’t want to miss THE SECRET OF MAGIC.  It is a marvelous read.  4/5






39 comments:

  1. Excellent historical fiction.

    Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made note of this title when it first launched in hardcover. Now I'll move it up higher on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it.

      It was a bit slow to get started, but it took off.

      Thanks for stopping, Beth.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Southern fiction, then I think you will like it.

      Thanks for stopping, Gail.

      Delete
  4. Even though I'm not doing this challenge, this sounds too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A challenge? May I know what the challenge is for?

      Let me know if you read this book.

      Thanks for stopping, Irene.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like great story telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author is amazing. Excellent storytelling.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Elizabeth. The writing sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful writing that takes you right where the setting is.

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  7. I do love a good historical mystery and the South in the 40s is an interesting setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good setting and storyline.

      Thanks for stopping, Carol.

      Delete
  8. I love a good Southern story, this one looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit slow at first, but quite good.

      Thanks for stopping, OnDBookshelf.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I totally agree. I LOVE the cover.

      Thanks for stopping, Readers+Writers Journal.

      Delete
  10. This one does sound like one I'd enjoy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your would, Laurel.

      Good Southern fiction.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  11. Great review. Glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa.

      I did enjoy it.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  12. This sounds really good! Pinning it to investigate it more later.

    Thanks for your comment on my review, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth.

      My pleasure to stop by your blog.

      Delete
  13. I suppose the South in the 1940s wasn't that great of a place to live for everyone, but I do love mysteries. I am glad you liked this one, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll keep this one on my radar, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you read it, Peggy.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  15. Sounds good! I'm not a big fan of Southern fiction, but I'm warming up to it! I just reviewed one that could be considered Southern fiction, too, Boy's Life by Robert McCammon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Southern Fiction.

      Give Bette Lee Crosby's books a try. I love her books. The Twelfth Child is my favorite of hers.

      Thanks for stopping, Laurie.

      Delete
  16. I will admit I avoid Southern fiction because I grew up in Alabama, but I have to admit this sounds different and good and I do love mysteries set in this period. Thanks for introducing me to this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, TracyK.

      I hope you like the book.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  17. Sounds really interesting. Not a genre I'm familiar with but I'll check it out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may like it, Rachel.

      Thanks so much for stopping.

      Delete
  18. Southern fiction isn't something I've read much of - being an Aussie but enjoyed your review & it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol....thanks for stopping.

      If you do read it, let me know what you think.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. It was an excellent read.

      Thanks for commenting and stopping by, Diane.

      Delete