Friday, August 23, 2013

Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward


MEN WE REAPED is very well written and in a style that feels as if the author is right there with you having a conversation. The prose is beautiful, and the descriptions are vivid and make the scenes come alive.

The author revealed her life very eloquently even though her life growing up wasn't very eloquent. Jesmyn had to suffer through a premature birth, a father who wasn't true to her mother, a dog mauling, poverty, drugs, drinking, and deaths of loved ones.

The book was enlightening as well as heartbreaking to hear the narration of her life and her family's struggles.

I normally do not read memoirs, but I am glad I read this book.  It is an eye opener.  Thanks for writing this book, Ms. Ward.

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.


6 comments:

  1. I didn't realize this is a memoir. Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all intrigued by the title. Sounds like an interesting read, and an eye opener. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping rippleeffects.

    Do you have the book, Kathy? It is from that Speed Dating Session we attended at the BEA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This type of book can be difficult to read; especially when we so often read for escape. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Martha.

    No escaping with this book.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete