Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oskaloosa Moon by Gary Sutton

What a sweet, nostalgic read...I truly enjoyed it.

Starting out with strikes against him, no loyal friends but one, rich girls that teased him......Moon was a loveable, honest, caring child of a single, disinterested mother and a child who worked hard at his paper route and at keeping people honest.

Moon's honesty and innocence was a major theme.  The cruelty of the town's doctor toward Moon will break your heart.  It was unbelievable to think that someone would feel they had that much power over a child just because he was not perfect.
I enjoyed reading about Moon's antics, his loyalty to his only friend and to his mother who really didn't care about him, and a Grandmother who was always worried about something. :)  Moon is the all American dream to have as your child and a child that depicts the era of where we all came from and at times long for.
You will admire and love Moon for his resiliency and acceptance of his life's misfortunes and be saddened at how his story is an unfortunate commentary on society....if you aren't perfect, no matter how brilliant you are, you usually have a difficult time succeeding.
Gary Sutton, the author, graciously sent me a copy....it is an impressive read.  Oskaloosa Moon captures the trials and tribulations of growing up in the 1950's and lets us know what it is like to have a handicap, which actually doesn't hold Moon back.  Moon's handicap essentially helps him to continue through life and make something of himself even if it isn't in his chosen field of expertise.  The book will or “should” teach us all a lesson.
 Thank you, Mr. Sutton, for your amazing book.  It made me cry, it made me laugh, it broke my heart, and it also should be read by everyone.  5/5

12 comments:

  1. Wow! You've made me very curious about Moon and why the doctor treated him that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book was wonderful....I hope you can find it...I do see it on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great intense read. You have also made me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this one before but your write-up has made me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting-- I'd like to get to know Moon better after reading that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i almost in tears just reading the review. on my list it goes, nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments and compliments on my review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review, looks like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds very interesting - sweet and gentle, yet painful and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came from Cym Lowell's Book Review Party Wednesday.

    Do I need my emotional armour to read this book?

    Cherry Mischievous
    www.cherrymischievous.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Based on your review, Elizabeth it sounds like an interesting read!

    It would be interesting to see how a person with a disability was treated in that era in comparison to today; to hear his triumphs and struggles.

    ReplyDelete